Two people died due to gas poisoning at Badran village in central Kashmir’s Budgam district on Friday evening, health officials said.
They said six others were injured in the accident at Beigh Mohalla of the village.
Witnesses said that cousins Mohammad Hanief Lone and Naseer Ahmad got trapped after falling unconscious due to gas leakage from a water motor inside a well they were digging in the locality.
People immediately rushed to their rescue after the word spread in the area.
Six people sustained injuries during rescue operations, said a local resident Muhammad Yakoob Beigh.
All the injured were rushed to Sub District Hospital Magam, said SDPO Magam, Syed Fayaz Ahmad.
BMO Magam Tahir Sajad confirmed the death of the duo due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
He said two injured were being treated at SDH Magam while four others were shifted to Srinagar for advanced treatment.